Sunday, February 10, 2013

Dota 2 much

I've been consumed by this innocent enough game. It's been years ever since my JC years that I was ever addicted to any computer game, along the likes of Runescape, Maplestory, Cabal Online and MU Online... Back then, it was a form of escapism, a fantasy world to immerse myself in-where I could mostly, be the persona I want to create, and people would believe :p

It led to a slightly tense argument with Simon this afternoon. He aptly pointed out, "Am I not more important than this computer game? Pay attention to what I am saying!" I protested at that point of time, as he was distracting me and unfortunately my in game hero died. Dang, I've disappointed my team!

Dota is an excellent game, which is why it's so easy to get hooked onto it in the first place. Strategy, diverse characters, player interaction and decent graphics make a compelling case for it. And the learning curve is not steep, which is important for players like me. I can never micro manage too well.

The barometer of an unhealthy addiction to me is when your normal life cycle is disrupted, leading to bad sleeping, studying, working habits and worsening relationships. I've severely undermined the relationships with my two younger siblings over the only computer my family had back then, lording it, just to slay some goblins and farm enough gold to upgrade to a new, fanciful armor. It took so much longer to rebuild these cherished bonds... I don't think I've reached this stage yet, and I will struggle not to. It's not easy, mind you.

Had a simple reunion dinner with traditional dishes whipped up by my talented uncle Cliff. Sea cucumber pot, pig stomach soup, steamed pomfret, braised Teochew duck, steamed white chicken and steamboat. Ain't I a food addict too?! ;p

~blessings

No comments: