Saturday, February 9, 2013

Good and Bad

Firstly, I'd like to thank John Teo for acknowledging me as a source of inspiration for him to start journaling his reflections again. He connects deeply with God and I urge you to check his posts out.

Yesterday was eventful.

Dinner with the 'sinners'
The long awaited dinner gathering consisting of Blowing Wind gay Christians took place all the way at  Earle Swensen's, Vivocity. I haven't been there for a long while and it was refreshing to browse around the new concepts in dining and home decor (Franc Franc) that have sprung up before dinner.

Attendance was a healthy ten and I'm glad the old and new members were able to interact and have a good time, despite coming from very different theological backgrounds and stages of coming out. It is hard being Christian and LGBT at the same time, when majority of both camps are strongly opposed to each other. So I guess it's a good initiative to provide mutual encouragement and support through this medium. I do hope that this BWorshippers' group will be able to reach out to more struggling LGBT christians.

I would wish to post a picture, but we live in a society that does not accept us fully yet and I have to respect some of the member's discretion in not wanting to be 'out' yet.

Chili's night outAnd so after the dinner, I proceeded to Tanjong Pagar to help Ezekiel, a really dear member of my cell group, take some pictures as he parades about the area in his drag persona- Chili. Everything went fine, with many happy fans, friends and strangers taking pictures with her.

Until she started dancing in Play.

Someone pulled her wig pulled off, and attempted to pull out the stuffing from her boobs. She retaliated by giving the guy a slap on his face. It was lots of drama and I didn't get to witness it as I was distracted by the bright lights and the need to protect my camera from the many bouncing bodies around me. Apparently, it was 'Sexy Snake Year' night and Play was packed.

Fortunately it didn't escalate into a big brawl. Chili calmly recited this incident to the bouncer and he was pulled out together with his gangly companions. Both apologised to each other. It was interesting that the guy related his account in Mandarin to the bouncer, when he could very well speak in English. I see it as a sort of subtle discrimination against Chili as she is Indian and couldn't understand a word he is saying. The bouncer was really cute as he tried to translate it back to English and made a big mistake, which could have potentially worsened the issue.

The importance of Respect
Chili was gravely offended by the act. I mean who wouldn't,

Your basic human dignity was denied.
Your modesty was violated.
Your craft was devalued.

I would like to make a point that even though Chili is a drag performer, when he is in her drag persona, she feels and thinks like a female- regardless of the artificial boobs/hair/make up. Your physical assets don't determine your identity, it helps surely, but it's your inner thoughts, motivations, desires that shows who you really are.

I see the guy's act as an act of violence towards all women as he obviously disrespected . I wonder how his female friends around him feel that night. Reminded me of the great film we discussed in cell group, "Boys don't Cry', that won numerous awards in its depictions of how ignorance and fear of unconventional sexual identities led to the murder of this real life person who is anatomically female but sees himself as a man.

Stand tall, and be proud of what you do and who you are Chili!

We, your friends, and your cell group, will be together with you as you journey through life!

~love






No comments: