Friday, November 2, 2007

Altruism


After all the fun and games of the yesterdays, I guess that we have to veer unto the untrodden path. I guess many of you readers would have pondered why I would suddenly express such a desire to blog?

Perhaps one of my secret agendas is to voice out how i feel about certain issues, and to inject an element of fun into my faithful audiences at the same time. It also serves as a reminder of how God has been faithful to me all this while, as i walk down memory lane.

Today has been a fantastic day. (or rather yesterday; i stopped blogging halfway cause my internet connection went bonkers) I went volunteering at the Esplanade as a buddy for the children in the homes(orphans/children in dysfunctional families) at the request of my friend, hejun. Might as well, given the capricious state of affairs in my household.

Alas, it is impossible to capture the enormity of the emotions I felt. What started as cold strangers blossomed into bona fide friendships. Yes, we had our quarrels, yet within those few hours, the interaction produced a deep ringing joy that fills my heart. I could sense that God was prompting me: This is your mission field.

I could remember so distinctly of Amos, that mischievous, hyperactive boy, bouncing about and ultimately getting caught by the disciplinary mistress. Then like all naughty boys do, he will try to wriggle out of her hands, and sport a pouting face. Ah, this reminds me of my old self. Haha.. Of course, the girls were more brazen with me, taking advantage of my good nature and spamming me with the nickname donald duck. I do not know why, but apparently their reasoning is that i have lips that resemble Donald Duck's? I do not really agree and i attribute their misgivings to their perhaps undeveloped eyesight(too young) :p

AS i bid them goodbye, i am reminded by this verse: Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.(Mark 10:14) Though they may be forsaken by their parents or live in dysfunctional families, God always has a place for them. So do volunteer, I'm sure even a cold hearted person like you will melt at the infectious joy of these little children.

P.S. I got no CIp hours for it, yet it was worth all the while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi joseph! this is paul from the philippines. i really think the kids from your group enjoyed your company! haha.